Tips for Effective Lawn Watering
- Minimize the runoff by watering in 15 minute sessions rather than one long continuous session.
- The best time to water your lawn is early in the morning between 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. In the afternoon water is lost due to evaporation and wind. At night watering can promote fungus.
- Separate irrigation zones so the grass can be watered separately from the plants and shrubs. Different plants have different needs.
- Make sure your sprinkler heads are adjusted to water the lawn and plants. It is wasteful to water sidewalks and driveways.
- Install low volume drip irrigation systems to conserve money and resources.
- Check your sprinklers to ensure they aren't any clogged or torn lines.
- Adjust your irrigation as the seasons change and install a shut-off device that can automatically detect rain/moister. Winterize your system during the late fall to avoid broken lines in the spring. If you backflow device is leaking, please consider having it repaired or replaced.
- It is highly recommended to install a backflow device after the irrigation water meter to prevent contamination and to protect the meter. Lock boxes can be purchased from hot-box.com.